Food grains are the essential part of our diet and they are produced in bulk amount. Some examples of grain are; rice, wheat, barley, corn, etc. The surplus amount of these grains produced in bulk requires storage space. Therefore, we need to make use of silos. A grain silo is an effective arrangement done for storing food grains produced in bulk. In agricultural terms it is also called as silage and used to store wet and dry grains as well as fermented feed for cattle. Let’s have an overview of grain silos and try to know few important things about them.
Types of grain silos-
Depending upon the types of grains silos can be corn silo, rice silo or barley silo. However, this is not the actual classification. The classification of silos is done depending upon, their costs, designs and material used. The most common and popular types of silos is steel silo. Then, there are concrete silos. The cost of both these types is much higher than silos made up of other materials, reports a grain silo manufacturer. There are many other types like, fabric silo, modular silo, cement silo, glass reinforced plastic silo, etc.
However, if you go to the village level or small farmers, many of them cannot afford to make investment related to bulk storage. Therefore, they develop optional but efficient and strong storage facilities as per their requirements. Those optional arrangements include drums made up of plastic or metals, gunny sacks, etc. One thing is to be noted here is that, these optional arrangements cannot match the level of silos.
Things to consider while choosing a silo
While choosing a silo from grain storage silo manufacturer, we need to consider few things. They are listed below.
- Silo must contain a covering or roof in order to save the grains from rain or dust and dirt.
- The filling system should be in such a way that the damage of the grain should be minimized.
- The ventilation system of corn silo or maize silo or barley silo or rice silo must be proper in order to condition these dry grains of corn, barley, rice, etc.
- The flooring of the silo should be made up of concrete, says a grain silo manufacturer.
- The structuring of the silo should be strong enough to hold large amount of storage.
- The walls and doors must be air tight in order to keep the moisture away from the grains.
- The unload system must be placed at bottom to a central point so that grains can be extracted easily.
- According to a wheat storage silo manufacturer, a good silo is one which safeguards the grains like wheat, rice, etc. from insects, birds and other external factors.
How to manage a silo?
There are certain measures one has to take for managing the silo properly. Let’s have a look at them in detail.
- Try to maintain efficiency in storage- This can be done by performing consistent checks and evaluations. The evaluations of factors like spacing of the storage, measures taken for pest control, cracks and other technical things must be done regularly by the operator, says a grain storage silo manufacturer.
- Waterproofing- Although the storages are always waterproof, there is no need to put additional efforts. However, it is important to check the silos for the same regularly. If the issues does arrive, then required steps should be taken, advises a husk storage silo manufacturer. Any problem occurred regarding water proofing can be solved by using certain techniques of moisture sealing. For example, applying silicon based sealant.
- Flooring of silo- According to a wheat storage silo manufacturer, the floor level of a silo must be 10 to 15inches above. This facilitates the installation of equipment for ventilation. You can also make use of wire mesh to prevent opening of cracks. As per the information provided by a husk storage silo manufacturer, the base of the silo floor made up of concrete is formed by conveyor tube, hopper and floor Chanel. Therefore, it is important to see if they are put down tightly.
- Ventilation- In order to maintain the temperature of the grains ventilation is necessary. Once you put the adequate amount of dried grains in the silo, the work of the ventilation system begins. It is imperative for the system to supply sufficient amount of moisture which will help to regulate the temperature, says a paddy storage silo manufacturer.
- Controlling the insects- Rodents and insects can be managed by making use of the methods like natural resistance, chemical control and sanitation, reports a paddy storage silo manufacturer. By controlling the insects you can lessen the loss of grains by almost 25%. This will also increase the market value of the grains.
While opting for a grain silo, it is important to keep in mind that, setting up a large storage is not an easy and inexpensive task. There are lot of small technical details you have to keep in mind and you have to be experienced enough in this field to get the finest system installed.